Fleas are pesky parasites that are found in dogs and causes them an awful urge to itch and scratch. Once a particular area is infected with repeated scratching it opens way for infections which left untreated can turn fatal. Unfortunately, these bothersome creatures are also capable of changing their hosts too and can bite humans too as a result.
To soothe your dog’s itchy skin form flea bites, it is necessary that you consider the following remedies that will cause great relief from itchy skin and the constant scratching.
- Firstly, you must bathe your pet in warm water. If you find an open sore then do not use a strong shampoo. Instead bathe them in a homemade shampoo made from powdered oatmeal. All you need to do is grind oatmeal in the blender into a powdered form and mix it with water and smear it on your pet’s coat. Let it stay for 15 minutes and then rinse with water. Oatmeal works beautifully as it naturally soothes inflammation as well as moisturises your pet’s skin.
- Grooming your pet with a flea comb helps to remove fleas as well as keeps their coat clean and shiny. But if you notice open wounds then you can apply some soothing gel or cream that helps to relieve itchiness.
- You can also apply ice to the affected area to soothe their skin.
- Aloe Vera gel applied to your pet’s coat can prevent redness and itching.
- Applying Apple Cider Vinegar also helps in eliminating fleas as well as stops the itching. Dilute it in water and use it as an after-shampoo rinse to keep your pet’s coat shiny and to soothe itchy skin.
It is a good idea to consult your vet on effective flea control measure for your pet to prevent further infestation of fleas in their body.