Once your kitten is over 6 months old they would require a diet rich in nutrition. At this stage they would require meals specifically high in protein, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin C and E for natural growth, strong bones, teeth and healthy immune system. They need to be on kitten food that is high on the above components.
There are basically two kinds of cat food – wet and dry. Both have their pros and cons. You can either give only one type or give them a mix of both. It is left to you to experiment and get creative to make your pet eat the food.
To help you make an informed choice here are the benefits of dry and wet kitten food:
- They have a longer shelf life when opened than wet food.
- Chewing on dry food helps your cat develop strong teeth and removes plaque in slightly older kittens.
- Less wastage as you give your kittens exactly how much they need. But you will have to supplement adequate amount of water with dry food.
- It is more tasty and most kittens love its smell, taste and texture.
- Its moisture content makes it softer than dry food.
- It is easy to serve with single serve packs and trays.
- Your kitten will have increased water intake with wet food.
Whatever maybe the choice of food for your pet it is always a good idea to consult with your vet if you need any recommendations or have any queries.