Intestinal parasites are quite common among dogs and cats and even in us humans. The commonly used treatment for worms are the deworming drugs prescribed by the vet. Now, we know that drugs are very effective but they are also quite strong and come with unpleasant side effects. So, why not look for a cure which is so natural that it is found in your own kitchen!
So, food that is homemade and a raw meat diet is an ideal option to keep your dog healthy and free from worms. You must avoid feeding them kibbles as worms are attracted to sugars and starch found in kibbles. Also, consider giving them foods or treats that have probiotic properties. You can occasionally give them homemade yoghurt or curds if they are not lactose intolerant.
Here are foods that deworm your pet naturally:
- Ground pumpkin seeds ( 1/4 tsp per 10 lbs of weight)
- Carrots, greens, squash , fennel seeds or saunf can be added to their regular food
- Pomegranate is very useful in treating tapeworms
- Garlic in moderate amount is not harmful
- Apple cider vinegar, when a teaspoon of this is added to your dog’s food it creates an alkaline digestive system that is less attractive to intestinal parasites
- Coconut oil, a teaspoon of this added to your pet’s food everyday helps to get rid of roundworms
You can try the above mentioned food items. However, it is advisable that you find out from your vet if the above mentioned food items suit your dog’s breed and type.